Port Douglas Marriage Celebrant
Sarah Woods

         Marriage Celebrant 

Sarah Woods Port Douglas and Palm Cove 

Port Douglas Wedding Ceremony

Little Cove, Port Douglas Wedding Ceremony

" How fortunate we were on engaging you as our  wedding celebrant at our Port Douglas wedding!  Thank you so much for helping us with and guiding us through our vows and ceremony. It was a memorable occasion, solemn, meaningful and filled with laughter. We couldn't have asked for more. Our day was perfect." Anna & Michael June 2017

Port Douglas is one of the tropics little gems that just so happens to make the perfect wedding backdrop. Its a stop-you-in-your-tracks kind of place filled with palm fringed beaches and breathtaking scenery at every turn.  In other words, it's everything a tropical wedding should be.

Port Douglas and the surrounding Queensland tropics are a truly magnificent location to start your life together as husband and wife. I love a wedding ceremony and believe as a marriage celebrant I have the best job in the world, in the best place - Port Douglas, Queensland. I pride myself on the fact that from your enquiry and beyond you will find me friendly, professional and passionate about delivering a ceremony to remember.

To get married in Australia you will need the following:
  • Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
  • Original Birth Certificates or Current International Passport
  • Original Decree Absolute/ Certificate of Divorce (if you have been married before and divorced)
  • Death Certificate of previous spouse (if you have been widowed)
  • Proof of Name Change (if you have legally changed your name)
  • Photo ID eg Drivers license/ Proof of Age/ Government issued photo ID.

Notice of Intended Marriage  ( download form)

I have attached a copy of the NOIM for you, this MUST to be returned NO LATER THAN ONE MONTH BEFORE THE DATE OF THE MARRIAGE.

Instructions for completing the NOIM:

  • Please take the time to read the instructions on the NOIM as this is the information that will appear on your Marriage Certificate.
  • Full names, mean all the names listed on your identity documents.
  • Please ensure that the NOIM is in BLACK INK and in BLOCK LETTERS
  • You can get the NOIM signed in the presence of any of the following authorized witnesses:

In Australia - an authorized celebrant, a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, a justice of the peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory;

Those mentioned at (a - In Australia) only, on the back of the NOIM are the only ones authorized to witness a signature on the NOIM. i.e., - JP. Doctor of Medicine, Lawyer, Police Officer (Unlike a normal witnessing procedure on a Stat Dec., only these mentioned are able to witness.  A Pharmacist, Dentist, Bank officer etc., CAN NOT witness the NOIM in this case, UNLESS of course they are a JP as well, and if that is the case they must signify their JP status over their occupation, print their name and number clearly.)

Overseas - an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, an employee of the Commonwealth authorized under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorized under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955 or a notary public.

Proof of Identity documents

The following documents need to be produced to the authorized celebrant before the marriage is solemnised;

Proof of birth

Current Passport or original Birth Certificate. If you were born in Australia and you don't have a Birth Certificate, you can apply to Birth, Deaths and Marriages in the State where you were born.

Have you been married before?

If a party is a divorced person or a widow or widower - evidence of that party's divorce, or of the death of that party's spouse.

If a party has been divorced in Australia, the authorised celebrant should sight court evidence of the decree upon dissolution of marriage.

Have you legally changed your name?

If a party changed their name then they need to provide a Change of Name certificate.

What if my Documentation is in a Language Other Than English?

If any of the documentation is in a language other than English, it will be your responsibility to ensure they are officially translated and authorised by a person who is a legally recognised translator. A translator can be found by contacting the Australian or English Embassy in your country of residence. If you are getting your documents translated in Australia you can go to www.naati.com.au to find a accredited translator.

Are you under 18 years of age?

If a party to an intended marriage has not turned 18 (unless he or she has previously been married), he or she must obtain the necessary consents or dispensations required under the Marriage Act 1961, and the authorized celebrant must sight those consents or dispensations before proceeding with the marriage. Also, a person under 18 years is not of marriageable age, and cannot be a party to a marriage, unless he or she obtains an order from the court under section 12 of the Act.

Original documents to be sighted by celebrant prior to marriage

Birth Certificate/ Passports/ Divorce Papers and other evidence/certificates MUST be the original document. I will need to sight the originals PRIOR to the marriage legally taking place. Please send me a photocopy of each of these relevant documents when you lodge your NOIM so I can verify the information on the NOIM.

You will need two people (one each) to witness the ceremony. If you need assistance with this please let me know.

Your day, your ceremony:
A good wedding ceremony will be meaningful to the both of you and is truly personal. I will provide you with an abundance of resources and ideas to ensure that your wedding is a truly personal one. Your ceremony will be unique and will reflect what you want to share with those in attendance because your ceremony should have lots of what makes the two of you a special couple.

I provide all of my clients with a marriage ceremony pack which shows you the 'usual' structure of a civil ceremony and provides you with plenty of ideas for each section of the ceremony. In Australia there are four things which must be included in the ceremony for it to be a legal:

  • Monitum' of Marriage which I say;
  • Include your full legal names at least once in the ceremony;
  • Wedding vows must include the following sentence I call upon all the persons here present today to witness that I, ( groom/bride/spouse name) take you ( bride/groom/spouse name) to be my lawfully wedded husband/wife/spouse. Once you have said this you can add your personal vows.
  • Declaration of Marriage - This is where I pronounce you to be husband and wife.

Aside from the above there are so many opportunities during the ceremony to personalise the ceremony and you can have as much creative input as you want.

My Celebrant Services include:
- Completion of the Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM).

- Reservation of your specific Date and Time so that no other bookings are taken.

- My Wedding Ceremony Guide with sample ceremonies/vows/poems/ring exchanges etc to make things easy for you.

- Provision of Government Information i.e.: Relationship Services Information.

- All meetings with me and all my administrative costs.

- Preparation of remaining legal documentation.

- Preparation of your Ceremony and provision of Drafts for approval.

- Time, travel and parking on your Wedding Day. (I arrive ½ hour before the commencement of the Ceremony to set up and liaise with your other suppliers) - Subject to location

- Copy of your personalised ceremony in a presentation folder.

- Your keepsake Marriage Certificate.

- Conducting your Ceremony according to Australian Law.

- Registering your marriage with Births Deaths and Marriages (you will need to apply separately for official marriage certificate to be used for identity/change of name purposes).

- Table/tablecloth and chair for signing the Marriage Register (subject to location).

- Portable PA system with CD player ensuring audibility for weddings with over 30 guests. Please note: If you have planned an outdoor wedding and it is raining, I will not be able to use my sound system as water would damage and possible ruin the amplifier. It is therefore very important to consider having a wet weather alternative.

- Professional Indemnity/Public Liability Insurance