Sarah Woods 
Port Douglas Wedding Celebrant

Tropical Weddings , Romantic Elopements, Renewal of Wedding Vows & Committment Ceremonies

Elopement Wedding Ceremony Port Douglas

Elopement Ceremony Port Douglas

There is something so wildly romantic about and intimate day focused on two people in love, don’t you think? Elopements scream romance to me. I couldn’t love them more. Perfectly understated yet fabulously intimate, elopements just seem to get to the core of saying I do.

I pride myself on the fact that from your enquiry and beyond you will find me friendly, professional and passionate about delivering a ceremony to remember.

To get married in Australia you will need the following:

  • Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
  • Original Birth Certificates or;
  • Current International Passport 
  • Original Decree Absolute/ Certificate of Divorce (if you have been married before and divorced)
  • Death Certificate of previous spouse (if you have been widowed)
  • Proof of Name Change (if you have legally changed your name)

Notice of Intended Marriage (download form)

I have attached a copy of the NOIM for you, this MUST to be returned NO LATER THAN ONE MONTH BEFORE THE DATE OF THE MARRIAGE.

Instructions for completing the NOIM:

  • Please take the time to read the instructions on the NOIM as this is the information that will appear on your Marriage Certificate.
  • Full names, mean all the names listed on your identity documents.
  • Please ensure that the NOIM is in BLACK INK and in BLOCK LETTERS
  • You can get the NOIM signed in the presence of any of the following authorized witnesses:

In Australia - an authorized celebrant, a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, a justice of the peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory;

Those mentioned at (a - In Australia) only, on the back of the NOIM are the only ones authorized to witness a signature on the NOIM. i.e., - JP. Doctor of Medicine, Lawyer, Police Officer (Unlike a normal witnessing procedure on a Stat Dec., only these mentioned are able to witness.  A Pharmacist, Dentist, Bank officer etc., CAN NOT witness the NOIM in this case, UNLESS of course they are a JP as well, and if that is the case they must signify their JP status over their occupation, print their name and number clearly.)

Overseas - an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, an employee of the Commonwealth authorized under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorized under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955 or a notary public.

Proof of Identity documents

The following documents need to be produced to the authorized celebrant before the marriage is solemnised;

Proof of birth

You need to provide either a original Birth Certificate or current Passport. If you dont have a Birth Certificate and were born in Australia you can apply to Birth, Deaths and Marriages in the State where you were born.

Have you been married before?

If a party is a divorced person or a widow or widower - evidence of that party's divorce, or of the death of that party's spouse.

If a party has been divorced in Australia, the authorised celebrant should sight court evidence of the decree upon dissolution of marriage.

Have you legally changed your name?

If a party had changes their name, then they need to provide a Change of Name certificate.

What if my Documentation is in a Language Other Than English?

If any of the documentation is in a language other than English, it will be your responsibility to ensure they are officially translated and authorised by a person who is a legally recognised translator. A translator can be found by contacting the Australian or English Embassy in your country of residence. If you are getting your documents translated in Australia you can go to to find a accredited translator.

Are you under 18 years of age?

If a party to an intended marriage has not turned 18 (unless he or she has previously been married), he or she must obtain the necessary consents or dispensations required under the Marriage Act 1961, and the authorized celebrant must sight those consents or dispensations before proceeding with the marriage. Also, a person under 18 years is not of marriageable age, and cannot be a party to a marriage, unless he or she obtains an order from the court under section 12 of the Act.

Original documents to be sighted by celebrant prior to marriage

Birth Certificate/ Passports/ Divorce Papers and other evidence/certificates MUST be the original document. I will need to sight the originals PRIOR to the marriage legally taking place. Please send me a photocopy of each of these relevant documents when you lodge your NOIM so I can verify the information on the NOIM.

When you elope you may have one or two guest or none, so if you need assistance with this please let me know.

Your day, your ceremony:
A good wedding ceremony will be meaningful to the both of you and is truly personal. I will provide you with an abundance of resources and ideas to ensure that your wedding is a truly personal one. Your ceremony will be unique and will reflect the two of you.

I provide all of my couples with a marriage ceremony pack which shows you the 'usual' structure of a civil ceremony and provides you with plenty of ideas for each section of the ceremony. In Australia there are four things which must be included in the ceremony for it to be a legal:

  • Monitum' of Marriage which I say;
  • Include your full legal names at least once in the ceremony;
  • Wedding vows must include the following sentence I call upon all the persons here present today to witness that I, ( groom/bride/spouse name) take you ( bride/groom/spouse name) to be my lawfully wedded husband/wife/spouse. Once you have said this you can add your personal vows.
  • Declaration of Marriage - This is where I pronounce you to be husband and wife.

Aside from the above there are so many opportunities during the ceremony to personalise the ceremony and you can have as much creative input as you want.